05 October 2008

End of an era

The day has come to say good-bye to some faithful companions. They've been in every kitchen since the time when "cooking" meant pouring milk over my cereal in the morning. Making them may even have been my first semi-fibery project, but thirty years later, I have to admit that my favorite potholders are done for.

So I dig out the potholder "loom" kit from the bottom of the craft closet this afternoon and make up some new ones. It was 'way more fun when I was 9 or 10, by the way. I don't remember the loops jumping off on their own volition, nor do I remember having a hard time finding loops that would actually stretch enough to fit the loom. Maybe those are all the things parents handle...

Anyway, I now have a new pair, all bright and shiny and unscathed. I've been afraid to wash the old ones for a few years now, they were getting that fragile. I figured they were getting heat sterilized with use anyway. (Germophobes, I really don't want to hear about it.)

Or am I perhaps carrying sentimentality just a wee bit too far?

1 comment:

Tonni said...

LOL!!! I remember making a bunch of these and "selling" to my family members to make money! Go ahead and be sentimental and don't worry about the germophobes :)