13 October 2008

Never say never...

At some point I swore I'd NEVER knit bouclé yarn into anything other than scarves, and then ONLY on double digit needles. Love how the yarn feels - hate how the yarn acts. Well, I had two skeins of Touch Exclusive bouclé yarn staring at me for weeks and weeks, and the thought of making two more "one skein wonder" mini-Clapotis just wasn't doing it for me. So then either a muse or an evil spirit put some size 13 circulars in my hands, and there I was, knitting away at a top down something. The final object depended on how far the yarn went. And this is what appeared (edited picture 15-Oct-08, colors are still a little off, not quite so pink in person):I thought the colors were unpromising together when I held the two skeins next to each other, but knit up they go quite well. The morning after I had started this, I found a fallen leaf from a maple tree with these same colors, so I took that as a sign - Mother Nature isn't wrong!

Nothing in this sweater is planned; it just happened. The technical specs, such as they are, for this are two skeins of Touch Exclusive Bouclé (approx. 185 yards each) and US 13 needles. Cast on 48 stitches (8 for each front, 8 for each shoulder, 16 for the back), knit a basic top-down raglan alternating colors whenever you feel like it until you run out of yarn.

The next challenge is to figure out how to finish it up. I have no yarn left at all, nothing to trim out the neckline, make a button band or other closure, etc. The edges need something though. Hmm...

Oh, and I also am puzzling over naming it. Some possibilities:
  • "Carrie" (from the movie, because of the color, in honor of Halloween)
  • something with "Maple" - "October Maple", "Maple Leaf" (because of the color inspiration)
  • "Cherry Red" (from an old Lou Gramm song that kept rattling around in my brain while I worked on this "...it's either cherry red or midnight blue...")

1 comment:

Tonni said...

Congrats on finishing the boucle sweater - you'll have to model it for us tomorrow! Maybe there's a little ball of another color somewhere in the shop that you could edge with. You'll never see me knitting a boucle anything... i'd rather knit mohair, and that is a rare thing :)