04 February 2008

Hand painted yarn = surprises


Sometimes the basics come back to bite you. In this case, it's the tendency of multicolored yarns to "pool" colors when they are knitted. I know this happens, have had it happen before, and know that you are supposed to work alternating rows/rounds from two different skeins to prevent this, but, sheesh, what a pain in the ass on what is supposed to be a quick pair of toe-up socks! So, let the colors pool - it's a pair of bed socks for my mother anyway!

When I pulled the yarn out of the stash last night and got started, I honestly didn't remember buying the yarn, but I must have had her in mind as the eventual intended recipient, because the colors are not me. However, this is one of the few cases where I have been surprised by something in the stash, which says something considering the quantity of yarn in there. I embarrassed myself a little when I started listing the particulars in my Ravelry notebook - somehow it doesn't look so scary in person (all nice and tidy in bins) than it does when listed out there for all to see.

No comments: