19 February 2008

Yarn therapy

I've missed my usual group yarn therapy (i.e. Knit Night at my LYS) for the second time now because I'm still tangled up in the mess of one of my parent's move. No matter how many TV shows you watch or magazine articles you read about coping with aging parents, they do NOT prepare you for the reality of it. I can imagine that it's hard enough when the parent-child relationship is reasonably stable, but, let me tell you, it's a whole new level of conflict when it isn't.

So, my concentration re: knitting projects has been pretty minimal of late. Creatively it's a real low point right now. I've finished a few small sample items for my LYS and made up the funky "Nomad" hat/scarf combo from IK FA07 out of stash yarn; in other words, nothing too mentally taxing. Last night I did risk casting on for a felted entrelac satchel bag, loosely based on one from a 2001 Knitter's magazine. Using the Emily Ocher cast-on (idea from the Nomad), I started working outward from the center of the bottom, increasing as I went around. The bottom is plain stockinette; I'll start the entrelac part on the sides. Pix will follow soon.

1 comment:

Tonni said...

Welcome to blog land :)

I feel for you dealing with again parents move situation... keeping my fingers crossed that I do not have to face this any time in the near future.

Your nomad hat/scarf looks great! Thinking this is the same colorway I have in my stash. I love the way the striping turned out on the hat.

Can't wait to see your pics of the entrelac bag!