08 February 2008

One step forward, two steps back

Yep, I ripped the socks back to the toe last night, and no, not because of the color oddness. 1) They were a little too big, and 2) these are my first toe-up socks that I want to do with a heel flap instead of a short row heel, and I started the gusset increases too late. They were going to be huge! Now, after the do-over part, they're looking much better. I've got the first one done to the leg shaft and am starting the gussets (again) on the second.

Yesterday down at my LYS where I help out some, I had a terrific teaching experience. My student already knew the knit stitch and had made a few garter stitch scarves, but purling had eluded her, and she struggled with gauge. When she signed up for the class, she also mentioned that she has a chronic autoimmune disorder that somewhat affects her dexterity on one side and her concentration, which things like knitting help maintain. Talk about a great motivation, aside from the sheer pleasure of working with nice yarn! We started on a basket weave scarf, and she picked everything up very quickly: long tail cast-on, the previously elusive purl stitch, reading her work to know where she was in the pattern repeat... All well and good, and what made it really fun for me, other than that she got it so fast, was her delight in the results. The purl stitch opened up a whole new world of possibilities! I'm quite sure she could have fought her way to learning to purl on her own, but it is gratifying to think that I helped make that process less painfully trial and error.

Looking out my window toward the wooded area that is our back yard this morning, I watched an enormous chipmunk thudding his way along a small downed tree trunk headed for the the spot below the bird feeder. Obesity is not just a human problem - all those spilled sunflower seeds have done their work for that (not so) little rodent to look as fat and happy as he does in the middle of winter (such as it is here in Alabama).

No comments: