16 February 2009

Pretty

Hats - almost as much fun as socks. Here's the latest, and quite lovely, I think.

Pattern: Selbu Modern
Yarn: Koigu Premium Merino
Needles: US2 and US0

Koigu's colors, especially the Painter's Palette blends, are just stunning. I have a bunch in my stash, two skeins per color, bought with the intention of making them into socks. Well, in the meantime, it's just not my favorite sock yarn anymore, mostly because without any nylon it doesn't wear quite as well. So, what to do with it? This hat is one solution.

Small needle projects are fun when you want a lot of knitting in a nice portable package. I cast on for this in anticipation of some quality waiting room time at my annual appointment with the ob/gyn; the last few years, I've had some seriously long waits because of someone else going into labor. Since I was prepared for that, of course I got to go right in this time. The small needles only bugged me at the very end, as in the very last two decrease rounds, working with one color on each hand on double points. That was a major pain in the a**.

I'm old school; I like my double points and just haven't found the love for magic loop. But I did have an epiphany on those last two hateful rounds: working on double points while carrying yarn on the right hand sucks. I normally knit continental (yarn on the left hand), but the second color has to go somewhere. Every time I made a stitch with the right hand yarn, I had to let go of the right hand needle to "throw" the yarn around the stitch. A minor annoyance when there are a bunch of other stitches still on it to hold it in place; a nightmare when there are just a few, and the needle wants to slip away or twist in the breeze or otherwise generally misbehave. So, yes, I now see where "double point desperation" might come from, especially if you knit English.

[Kitty is still here. I think Egg is in love, despite his allergies. We agreed though that I should post signs in the neighborhood today, because it is bad karma to steal someone's pet.]


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's an absolutely gorgeous hat - those colors positively glow! I have one, jealously guarded ball of Koigu that I've been saving (since none of the yarn shopd in this area seem to carry the stuff...)

From the point of view of a pet owner, I seriously hope that if Kitty is just "lost" that you're successful in finding the owners. But I gotta admit, from the point of view of someone who never met an animal they didn't immediately fall head-over-heels in love with, my heart is with Egg on this one :)