01 February 2009

Nothing says Sunday like a little attempted phone fraud

The phone rang today, and when I checked the caller ID, it showed our name listing and number. Eyebrows raised, I answered. On the other end was a recorded female voice saying that our account had been locked because of potentially fraudulent activity identified by Central State Bank's fraud prevention department. It then gave the option of pressing 1 to unlock the account or pressing 2 to hear the recording again. Not sure that I heard it right the first time, especially the bank's name, I pressed 2. It played the same message. By now I had Egg listening in too, and he went ahead and pressed 1 to "unlock the account". When the recording asked that we enter our account number, we hung up, suspicions confirmed: phone phishing attempt.

I want to disinfect my phone now.

(That generic bank name was a nice touch. I googled it and found lots of banks with that as the base of their names, usually Central State Bank of Someplace.)

1 comment:

Tonni said...

We had the same call! Although, it did not ID the caller. I let the answer machine pick up but it cut off the first part of the message so I didn't hear the "Central State Bank", just that our account had been locked. We got the call many times Sunday.